I’m alive and well, in case you missed me. (I am also alive and well in case you didn’t miss me. Just saying.) I haven’t been posting much because of many, many reasons such as:
- Writing a commissioned text
- Compulsively catching up on my reading after NaNoWriMo
- Looking up information and inspiration for new tarantula enclosures. I have recently acquired a new little monster and now two of the three beasts are getting pretty new enclosures with plants and whatnot. It’s not like they care, but I do. Besides, terrestrial tarantulas will often be mostly subterranean tarantulas, so I want the tanks to look interesting even in the absence of their occupants.
- Accidentally finding this amazing and hilarious blog about houseplants and attempting to read it all while simultaneously making grandiose plans to expand my plant collection. Good thing the weather is not conducive to transporting houseplants by bus.
- Struggling with a tiny and very polite sinus infection that only makes itself evident in the mornings. I wake up tired, with a slightly hurting face and drag myself around until noon contemplating taking cold medication by which point the issue resolves itself – until the next morning.
I skipped modern on Monday. I probably shouldn’t have, but then again, there was a big football game going on and it wasn’t clear when and whether the buses would run through the city center and whether the buses and the city center would be filled with large numbers of possibly drunk people, so maybe I should have. Walking was feasible, but I was not entirely sure encountering possibly drunk people on the dark street instead of on the bus would be much better. So I stayed home and felt a little bit bad. But only a little bit.
By today’s jazz class, I was somewhat starved for dancing. So of course we didn’t do any, but that was alright.
Today’s sub was supposed to be Frodo, but she caught whatever fascinating pathogen is currently wandering around and couldn’t come, so Opal subbed for her. (A sub for a sub? This is Christmas of the subs indeed.) My fears that I had completely alienated her were not confirmed. I totally sucked up to her anyway by telling her last week’s lesson was cool (which it was).
Today, she seemed to be nursing a bit of an injury so she had us do a good warm-up, core exercises and a lot of stretching. We worked in pairs both on the core and on the stretching. My partner, who is super-cute, super-good at dancing and always contagiously happy, complimented my core strength. It reminded me that I really shouldn’t skip modern and its strenuous and apparently very effective core routine.
All in all, it was a very pleasant class. I will definitely have some DOMS tomorrow, but that is always the case with the subs, since they have you do at least some unfamiliar exercises. Last week’s soreness was a bucket of fun in ballet, because of course M. had us do the very same exercises I got sore from in the first place – grands battements and pliés à la seconde.
But for now, I am back to my work-tarantulas-houseplants-Christmas-presents-and-sinus-problems-infused life. Regular blogging services will resume shortly! I hope you are all doing well and wish those of you who I know aren’t doing well a lot of strength to overcome the challenges.